Mediation is a private conversation between people in conflict or dispute who are assisted by an impartial mediator who helps them to talk about their concerns and determine for themselves what might be an acceptable path forward.
When things become too difficult to handle, mediation is there to help. You may not realize that mediation can be helpful for many different types of situations. Many people think mediation is only used for large corporations or a dispute with a neighbor, but the truth is, can be used for MANY situations.
If your disagreement is across a counter or cubicle, between friend or family, conjures frustration or fury, or demands transactional or trans-formative change, mediation can help. Below is a list of some common areas our expert mediators frequently address.
- Community: Our community begins next door and extends increasingly outward. With each new connection, the possibility for conflict, for disagreement, and for tension increases. As this happens, skilled community mediators are there to help. Frequent community conflicts may involve a neighbor’s animals, fences, noise, or parking.
- Consumer: In truth, the customer may not always be right. Neither will be the business, for that matter. When consumer and business interests collide, trained mediators are there to help. If the dispute involves a contract, charge, deposit, return, or review, mediators help grease the wheels of commerce with impartial, guided conversations.
- Court: “I’ll see you in court!” We might see you there, too…or at least shortly thereafter. Local courts are increasingly referring select cases to CMM partners in an attempt to provide faster, more customized solutions than courts are capable of providing. We currently help litigants in court resolve many small claims, housing, and family-oriented cases.
- Family: From sibling rivalries to separation, shared parenting to elder care, specially trained family mediators are available to help your family plot a course through conflict and change. Our mediators engage with heart and a deep appreciation for the uniqueness of each family and its dynamics. Community mediation can assist with post-dissolution modifications but not dissolution of marriage cases.
- Housing: Home is where your heart is. When that home is threatened, so too is your heart. These threats lead to intense, rapidly escalating conflicts in which our skilled mediators are uniquely trained to intervene. We assist with eviction protection, housing stability, and landlord-tenant issues that challenge heart and home.
- School: CMM partners provide a growing catalog of youth-oriented mentoring and conflict resolution education, services, and training to Minnesota schools. They work to end bullying, squash hallway grudges, equip students with constructive skills, and provide role models that inspire students to further extend their unfolding potential.
- Workplace. Cubicle clashes, water cooler rumors, discrimination, bullying, mobbing, terminations. Today’s workplaces are a minefield of triggers and trouble. Thankfully, workplace mediators throughout the state are ready to open both doors and minds. We ease the labor of collaboration and productively realign workplace relationships.
Need help with a conflict? Interested in mediation, restorative practice, dialogue or training? Contact us directly using the information below and we will connect you to a partner organization in your area ready to help.